Uzbekistan has adopted Presidential Decree No. PP-436 02.12.2022 “On measures aimed at increasing the effectiveness of reforms with the goal of transition of the Republic of Uzbekistan to a “green” economy until 2030”.
The adopted document approved the Green Economy Transition Program of Uzbekistan providing for the transition to a "green" economy and ensuring "green" growth in the Republic of Uzbekistan until 2030. The plan includes the achievement of the following strategic goals:
- reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 35% from the level of 2010;
- increasing the production capacity of renewable energy sources up to 15 GW and bringing their share in the total volume of electricity production to 30% or more;
- increasing energy efficiency in industry by at least 20%;
- reducing energy intensity per unit of gross domestic product by 30%, also by expanding the use of renewable energy sources;
- increasing water use efficiency in all sectors of the economy, introducing water-saving irrigation technologies on an area of up to 1 million hectares;
- expanding green areas in cities to 30% or more by planting 200 million seedlings per year and bringing their total number to 1 billion;
- increase in recycling of household waste up to 65%, etc.
The competent body responsible for promoting the green economy is the Ministry of Economic Development and Poverty Reduction. The Ministry will also be implementing the principles of "green" growth and greenhouse gas emission reduction.
The Ministry of Energy is the competent authority for the development of "green" energy, in particular the widespread introduction of renewable energy sources and hydrogen energy, as well as improving energy efficiency and reducing the energy intensity of manufactured products.
From June 1, 2023, Uzbekistan introduces a system of "green certificates". The system is to be based on the requirements aimed at restricting an environmental impact during production process.
An infrastructure for state regulation of greenhouse gas emissions in 2022–2026 is being created. The infrastructure provides for:
state registration of greenhouse gas emissions as well as creation and maintenance of the relevant cadastre;
- setting targets for reducing greenhouse gas emissions by various sectors of the economy;
- state support for activities aimed at greenhouse gas emission reduction.
- Also, from January 1, 2024, a monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) system in the field of climate change is to be implemented, covering all greenhouse gases.
Investment projects are to be assessed for the possibility of reducing the amount of greenhouse gases emitted as a result of their implementation.
The Ministry of Economic Development and Poverty Reduction is also the authorized body for coordinating the implementation of activities under the Sustainable Development Support Mechanism in accordance with Article 6 of the Paris Agreement (December 12, 2015, Paris).
The adopted resolution also approved:
- The concept of transition to a "green" economy and energy conservation in various industry sectors;
- Action Plan for the transition to the "green" economy and ensuring "green" growth in the Republic of Uzbekistan until 2030;
- Target parameters for saving fuel and energy resources in various industry sectors in 2022–2026, aimed at reducing energy consumption of products manufactured by 25 enterprises and organizations -by 20% in 2026 compared to 2022.